Thursday, June 12, 2008

Curing Yourself With MOLD

What do you like to read when you're feeling blue? sick? guilty? lonely?

I've found that the Grandma's Attic books by Arleta Richardson are usually good for me to read when I'm feeling restless. They're easy and funny. Don't try reading the classics when your attention-span is about as short as a matchstick. It just makes things worse and makes you feel like you're stupid.

When I'm feeling guilty, sometimes I read non-fiction. But sometimes I find a short fiction book that so completely sweeps me away with the story that I forget about everything else. Are these sorts of books as rare as they seem to me? :(

Other comforting books are:
Murder mysteries - um.... yeah. Please, please tell me I'm not the only person who thinks murder mysteries are comforting in a scare-yourself-out-of-your-discomfort way.
Regina Doman's books - because I've read them so many times. They're familiar.
The Secret Garden - ditto.
The Chronicles of Narnia - ditto
Anne of Green Gables - ditto

What about the rest of you?

5 comments:

Madison said...

Good question. For me, it's The Goose Girl. Or Ella Enchanted.

Delaney said...

Whoops, I accidentally wrote "time-span" instead of "attention-span." *facepalm* I fixed it.

If I owned TGG and EE, they'd both be on my list. As it is, I check them out from the library about every six months.

Jacqueline (bookbutterfly) said...

Comfort bks? Something Shannon Hale (PA, more specifically). Uhh...funny bks like the Sisters Grimm, AG, etc lighten my mood, too.

Madurai citizen said...

I have never read English story books. Once upon a time I have read Tamil novels. Nowadays, I spent times in listening Raja's music (Tamil movie music composer)

Ina-chan said...

ya, for me it's manga or a book like goose girl.