Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'll go first!

Since Anilee likes being first. Okay, not really. She does like to talk in the third person, though. ;)

Obviously, all you guys will know that my favorite author is the one and only Shannon Hale. And my favorite book of all time is The Goose Girl. And the rest of the Books of Bayern. Maybe Book of a Thousand Days. Not Austenland or Princess Academy, though I do really like both those books.

Second favorite book is A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly, which is completely amazing and you should all read it.

I also love Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and the movie too, which is very true to the book. Kristen Stewart may or may not be a good Bella, but she's a perfect Melinda.

The older books by Ann Rinaldi. I'm not a fan of her stuff published in this decade, but last decade's stuff (and some late-eighties) are excellent historical fiction.

Another author I enjoy is Tamora Pierce. I guess Tamora Pierce was my second favorite author. The first time I could name a favorite author, it was Ann Rinaldi. Then I read Trickster's Choice, realized fantasy was amazing, and quickly read everything that Tamora Pierce had written and loved all her books. So then she became my favorite author.

And then I read The Goose Girl. Waited for Enna Burning to come out in paperback. Joined LRRH...

Anyway, I love pretty much every fantasy book ever written, especially those that don't really have a lot of magic or epic-ness. Like I really enjoyed Legacy by Cayla Kluver (teenaged author!) and Crown Duel and Court Duel by Sherwood Smith. Political intrigue! And Ophelia by Lis Klein, but that's Shakespeare, not fantasy. Well...so Shakespeare did write fantasy, and The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, does have a ghost.

And on the epic side of fantasy, The Lord of the Rings. Without a doubt. Nothing else can compare.

As far as contemporary young adult fiction goes...I prefer the fun, light, chick lit type stuff to the darker books. I mean, I do love Speak, but I'd take Meg Cabot over Laurie Halse Anderson any day. Or Jen Calonita's Secrets of My Hollywood Life series (and these books are completely clean, and I highly recommend them). Or the Gallagher Girl books by Ally Carter.

I'm probably leaving somthing out, but oh well. I've rambled long enough...

anilee

3 comments:

Jacqueline (bookbutterfly) said...

Hehe, rambles are fine, Anilee. Welcome to MOLDland. *shakes hand* Gack, I need to add Crown Duel and Court Duel to my to-read list. Another pal of mine recommended that to me.

Merissa said...

I've been wanting to read Crown Duel and Court Duel ever since Shannon mentioned them on her blog, but I still haven't, I don't know why.

Rambles are totally fine here. There should be another warning mentioning that MOLDy people tend to do that.;)

RR2 said...

'ello,
I got here from Kinsmen of the Shelf. Nice to meet you...again. ;)
I look forward to reading your guys' posts!